Associate or Full Professor - Chairperson (Film)
Brooklyn College, CUNY
Associate or Full Professor Chairperson (Film)
CUNY Job ID 11206
The Department of Film at Brooklyn College of the City University of New York invites application to fill a tenure-track Associate or Full Professor Chairperson position beginning fall 2015.
The Department currently has 320 undergraduate students in the following concentrations: Production, Screenwriting, Industry Studies, Documentary Production, and Film Studies.
The Department is currently completing the final phases of two new graduate programs:
- M.F.A in Cinematic Arts (with multiple concentrations)
- M.A. in Film Studies, which is scheduled to open in fall 2015 in a satellite campus at Steiner Studios in the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
Faculty in the department are comprised of film scholars and filmmakers from a number of specialties, including screenwriting, directing, post-production, and documentary production. The successful candidate will serve as Department Chair with limited teaching responsibilities at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
The position entails working with the Director of the graduate program and the Dean of the School of Visual, Media, and Performing Arts.
Candidates must have a Ph.D. in Film or Media Studies OR an M.F.A. in Filmmaking or related craft. Experience as an administrator in a film or media department; a record of teaching experience and curriculum development; and experience mentoring faculty, staff, and students are necessary. Ongoing research or creative activity and a record of publications and/or productions commensurate for the rank are also necessary. The ability to work successfully with others at a highly diverse urban environment is essential.
The following are preferred:
- Experience in the area of strategic planning and curriculum revision and development on both the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Knowledge of contemporary digital technologies and a desire to help guide production curriculum into the future in a way that fits with specific departmental and institutional needs and limitations
- Familiarity with contemporary film scholarship that encompasses knowledge of theoretical and historical approaches to U.S. and global filmmaking
- A leadership style that is effective in articulating both scholarly and creative goals in a department that combines researchers and artists and that will establish a productive exchange of ideas among faculty in an open context
- Commitment to mentoring students and understanding the needs of a diverse student body
Review of applications will begin on October 30, 2014 and will continue until the position is filled.
For more information and to apply, please visit www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/facultyjobs and scroll down to Job # 11206.
Brooklyn College is an AA/EO employer.