ICS - Manager Media Relations—Member Experience
- Arts / Entertainment / Media
The incumbent serves as a media relations professional with the Member Experience Team, a core team of professionals who will centralize AARP’s consumer- and member-focused media relations efforts ensure that we have clear and cohesive messaging that brings AARP core messaging and brand promise to life.
This position will be primarily responsible for generating positive earned print, broadcast and social media coverage of AARP’s media properties (AARP The Magazine, AARP Bulletin, Movies for Grownups, aarp.org, Advertising/Sales, AARP Books, Social Media, YouTube, etc.) in new and creative ways, while effectively curtailing negative press coverage.
As a member of the Member Experience Team, the incumbent will help to develop and implement innovative earned and social media strategies and campaigns that contribute to a well-defined media presence on AARP’s strategic priorities, including Real Possibilities, Boomers@50+, Life@50+, Ideas@50+, AARP TEK, Brain Health, Staying Sharp, and AARP Travel.
Works with others throughout the association at all tenure levels in a hands-on, non-hierarchical way to take-in, influence and shape views, and building of personal credibility through the qualities of critical thinking and creative ideas.
- Proactively generate positive media coverage in new and creative ways to elevates the brand awareness of AARP among the public through effective and targeted media use;
- Contribute to the development and fostering of relationships with key media channels in order to increase positive media coverage. Identify and introduce new media channels to maximize coverage;
- Contribute to AARP social media efforts by writing blogs and securing guest contributors to online outlets. Use innovative media formats (videos, podcasts, social medias) to increase media presence;
- Serve as primary point of contact with media, bloggers and internal editorial teams and responds to media requests;
- Collaborate with communications, brand, membership and other colleagues, including senior executives, to ensure consistency, cohesion, relevance and impact.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with national print, broadcast and on-line reporters, editors and producers. Assists in securing features, stories and appearances in national, regional and local media outlets both print and web-based;
- Brief and staff AARP senior executives for media interviews and other public visibility opportunities.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with AARP colleagues who serve as spokespeople and subject matter experts.
- Provide strong media coaching/training with excellence in developing and nurturing internal talent, promoting diversity and forging external alliances, while fostering a productive workplace environment; and
- Demonstrate effective persuasion and influence skills communicating with all levels (both externally and internally). Build constructive relationships across the organization and builds trust and rapport with external partners.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Political Science or a related discipline.
- Preferred 5-8 years’ experience as a media relations professional;
- Experience working with national media;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Ability to work effectively and calmly in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment;
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain successful relationships with national, regional and local media;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate team members and colleagues.
- Demonstrated skills across variety of social media platforms